The Big Island

IMG_9146
IMG_9136
IMG_9252
IMG_9240
IMG_9280
IMG_9261
IMG_9249
IMG_9285
IMG_9279
IMG_9292
IMG_9300
IMG_9256
IMG_9268
IMG_9151
IMG_9272
IMG_9111
IMG_9112

Before summer offically ends , I thought I'd better share some snaps from a trip I took to the Big Island with my mom in August. It was just the two of us and so we spent the days driving around the island, stopping wherever we felt like to explore whatever little town or beach caught our fancy.  We stumbled upon a surprising amount of antique and thrift shops, most of them way overpriced but still fun to check out plus they kept me from going into vintage withdrawl.  We also consumed a fair amount of exotic local fruits on this trip and since my mom has a sweet tooth like me, a fair amount of desserts and pastries.  Every night after a long day of being out and about, we'd watch Golden Girls, which seemed to be on 24-7 and then wake up early the next day to a delicious cup of local Kona.  I've never been much of a coffee connoseuir but now I can totally see what the big deal is. 


I'd say the most  challenging part of the trip was convincing my mom that no, she did not need to purchase another ukelele. I say another ukelele because she already has one at home which she has never learned to play (along with a lute, some sort of xelephone looking thing and various other "alternative" instruments). I had to remind her that the airline only allows you one personal item so you'd have to leave your purse behind if you do buy it. It did the trick and she ended up buying an instructional book instead.  The sales guy scowled but victory was mine. :)

Comments

  1. great post. i love the pic of DC Mom, the one where she's holding her hair out of her face. i'd love a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awesome vacation. i love your tropical dress and your mom is so cute with all her instruments. glad you were able to convince her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'd love to visit Hawaii, these photos are just how I imagined it. Looks like such a relaxing trip and the bakery things look so different to what you get here, please tell me you tried some!
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts